9:30 p.m. UPDATE: The house voted tonight to pass the same-sex marriage bill, 95-52, but supporters needed 100 votes to override the governor's threatened veto. Legislators have to vote again tomorrow before the bill heads to the guv's desk.
Here's my post from earlier:
It's 7:45 p.m. as I write this, and the Vermont House is still at it down there in Montpelier, debating the same-sex marriage bill.
Shay Totten is doing a masterful job of Twittering the proceedings. Here are some excerpts from his Twitter feed this evening:
- Rep. Bill Aswad(D-Burlington) I rise in support of bill - I was a strong supporter ofcivil union bill on April 25, 2000 #vtfreetomarry
- Rep. Aswad: 90% of his district support #vtfreetomarry
- Rep. Adams: Without act of congress, #vtfreetomarry bill is meaningless
- Speaker Shap Smith calls House into recess until 7:15 says best to continue debate on a full stomach #vtfreetomarry
- statewide referendum fails 96-52. #vtfreetomarry
- Supporters of #vtfreetomarry handed out granola bars, water and oranges during the break - me? Cafeteria pizza & salad