The rumors were true! North American Breweries — maker of Genesee beer and distributor of Labatt — has acquired Independent Brewers United, which includes Magic Hat Brewing Company, Pyramid and MacTarahan’s.
The text of the official press release is below:
North American Breweries Adds Magic Hat, Pyramid and MacTarnahan’s Beers
Rochester, NY - North American Breweries recently announced the purchase of Independent Brewers United which owns Magic Hat, Pyramid and MacTarnahan’s beer. The purchase includes three breweries and five Alehouses and a retail store affiliated with one of the breweries. Terms of the deal were not disclosed.
According to Rich Lozyniak CEO of North American Breweries, the new beers add craft brewing credibility, and variety to the beers currently offered by the company. “We are really excited to add Magic Hat, Pyramid and MacTarnahan’s beers to North American Breweries. All three brands have a rich history of craft brewing that helps us gain acceptance in that tight-knit community,” said Lozyniak. “By having more beers to offer our customers, wholesalers and retail accounts, we can better compete with the multi-national mega brewers who dominate the U.S. beer industry.”
Along with the new craft beer offering, North American Breweries also imports and sells Imperial, Labatt Blue and the Labatt family of beers. Out of its Rochester brewery it makes and sells the historic line of Genesee beer, Dundee Ales & Lagers, the Original Honey Brown Lager and Seagram’s Escapes.
“The industry has taken a turn away from the mega brewers. We have a collection of regional and heritage brands that position us well among today’s beer drinkers,” said Rich Lozyniak. “At a time when the overall beer industry is in decline, we’re growing across brands which essentially created a great opportunity to collaborate with some of the best craft brewers in the business.”
According to the company, the heritage and brand position of Magic Hat, Pyramid and MacTarnahan’s will be closely guarded. “The credibility that these brewers have developed in the craft beer segment is key to our success. We will work hard to carefully maintain and grow what was passionately created by people who love to drink and brew beer.”
The new brands mean the addition of three new breweries, one each in: Portland, Oregon; Berkeley, California; and Burlington, Vermont. Magic Hat is the 10th largest craft brewery in the country, while Pyramid is the fifth largest. Both companies have a strong following of loyal consumers who love the craftsmanship that go into each unique beer.
Together Magic Hat, Pyramid and the Portland Brewing Co. (MacTarnahan’s) employ about 600 people. Currently, North American Breweries has approximately 500. “We’re a hardworking group of people with a strong track record of brewing beer, building brands and executing in the marketplace,” said Lozyniak.
Under North American Breweries’ leadership, sales of Labatt Blue and its family of beers, Genesee, Dundee Ales & Lagers, and Seagram’s Escapes have jumped. “We have a great opportunity to continue to grow. Magic Hat, Pyramid and MacTarnahan’s come with strong brand-building assets like the Artifactory, Alehouses and breweries,” said Lozyniak. “We now have more opportunities than ever to connect with our beer drinkers and tell our story.”
North American Breweries’ Plans for Magic Hat, Pyramid and MacTarahan’s
· The beer will remain the same: it will be brewed by the same people in the same breweries, using the same recipes, ingredients and commitment to artisanship as it has always been.
· All breweries, Alehouses and the Artifactory will remain open. They provide a unique opportunity to sample and showcase the company’s best beers and brewing capabilities. Through the retail locations, we can talk to customers about the beers they want us to make.
North American Breweries’ Promise
· We will communicate regularly and openly to our employees and at times – the media – about our business.
· We put a very high value on our people and believe they are key to helping us compete with the mega, multi-national brewers who dominate the U.S. beer industry.
· We will grow our brands by introducing them to new consumers and in new geographies through a focused sales and distribution effort.
· We believe in working with one another to make our company great. We regularly adopt best practices company-wide.
About North American Breweries
North American Breweries, headquartered in Rochester, New York was formed in 2009. The company imports and markets Imperial, Labatt Blue and the Labatt family of beers in the U.S. Its brewery makes and sells the historic line of Genesee beers, Dundee Ales & Lagers, the Original Honey Brown Lager and Seagram’s Escapes.