A Ford dealership in Southern California recently ran radio ads telling non-Christians to "sit down and shut up."
Here's the script, via The Telegraph:
Did you know that there are people in this country who want prayer out of schools, "Under God" out of the Pledge, and "In God We Trust" to be taken off our money?
But did you know that 86 per cent of Americans say they believe in God? Since we all know that 86 out of every 100 of us are Christians, who believe in God, we at Kieffe & Sons Ford wonder why we don't tell the other 14 per cent to sit down and shut up.
I guess I just offended 14 per cent of the people who are listening to this message. Well, if that is the case then I say that's tough, this is America folks, it's called free speech.
None of us at Kieffe & Sons Ford is afraid to speak out. Kieffe & Sons Ford on Sierra Highway in Mojave and Rosamond, if we don't see you today, by the grace of God, we'll be here tomorrow."
The ads have now been pulled. Apparently, it is was all in good fun.
Frequently we emphasize humor and patriotic themes, as we are locatedadjacent to two military bases. Public response over these 15 years hasbeen hugely positive, often eliciting calls and visits fromappreciative individuals. Regrettably, the commercial that has promptedthe current objection to religious sentiment . . . was not closely reviewed by our dealership before it went live.The commercial has been replaced.