Attention students and educators. Here is a list of possible tasks to complete while attending the Vermont 3.0 Creative Tech Career Jam on Saturday, October 25 at Champlain College.
Select and complete one of the following activities:
- Collect an exhibitor's business card and submit it along with a short reflection piece about why you would (or would not) like to work there.
- Give an overview of a speaker's presentation. Describe a new technology (product or service) that they discussed. Attach any related material (e.g. outline, company brochure, or business card).
- Write a “follow-up email” to an exhibitor or recruiter expressing your interest in their company and/or appreciation for speaking with you at the event. Copy me on your correspondence.
- Talk with an exhibitor about entry-level positions within their organization. Find out about the qualifications they look for in candidates and how the application process works. Then, write a brief summary about what you learned. Be sure to include the exhibitor's name and contact information.
- Provide the name and contact information of an exhibitor whose company you're interested in pursuing for employment. List the next steps of your job search in a time line and report each specific activity (i.e. Meet with adviser to develop a resume, draft a cover letter to John Doe at XYZ and submit it to the writing lab for editing/proofreading, research potential interview questions and identify possible responses, select interview attire, and so on).
- Collect at least three pieces of SWAG*. Write a paper that describes the item, the company it represents and the connection between the two.
*SWAG: Stuff We All Get (i.e. the trinkets exhibitors use to entice us to talk with them!)