A treat to see the smiling face of Bridget Burns yesterday on the Church Street Marketplace in Big, Bad Burlap.
Usually the only place we catch Bridget is behind the front desk at a certain successful local Vermont weekly where she's the office manager. But Seven Days has a week off!
In her free time, Bridget's been busy in the fight against the truly anti-American Bush-Cheney Iraq War. She's a reminder to this gracefully-aging Vietnam War protester that the "younger generation" of today is not silent. If anything, they're ignored by the "mainstream media."
Take a look at how 18 different panelists on Vermont Pubic Television's "Vermont This Week" rated the year's "top" stories as compared to 39 "viewers."
To the press, the action by almost 40 Vermont towns to back resolutions calling for the impeachment of the current president of the United States was no big deal. Here we are, once again, leading the nation at the grassroots level and the story just barely squeaked onto the press' list in 10th position.
To the VTW viewers, however, it came in 4th.
Compare for yourself:
As selected by "Vermont This Week" panel members (18 votes)
1. Vermont Yankee cooling tower collapse causes alarm
2. Federal Court upholds Vermont’s emissions law
3. Climate change dominates much of legislative session
4. Democrats fail to override Governor’s vetoes
5. Leahy assumes leading role in battle with White House
6. Catamount Health begins
7. PSB OK’s industrial wind project for Sheffield
8. Verizon seeks to sell landlines to FairPoint
9. Valentine’s Day blizzard sees up to 30” fall
10. Communities back impeachment resolution
As selected by "Vermont This Week" viewers (39 votes)
1. Democrats fail to override Governor's vetoes
2. Leahy assumes leading role in battle with White House
3. Vermont Yankee cooling tower collapse causes alarm
4. Communities back impeachment resolution
5. Rep. Welch targeted by anti-war activists
6. Federal court upholds Vermont's emissions law
7. School spending caps increases
8. Climate change dominates much of legislative session
9. Valentine's Day blizzard sees up to 30" fall
10. Catamount Health begins