Two Inn at Shelburne Farms employees were taken to the hospital Wednesday after they ate chocolate marijuana edibles left behind by two guests, police said.
Shelburne police and rescue responded to the high-end inn around 10:20 a.m. after someone reported that an ill employee “was lying in the parking lot.” The unidentified employees were taken to the University of Vermont Medical Center for evaluation, Shelburne police said in a press release.
Cops said the edibles looked like Whoppers malted milk balls.
“If a person does possess marijuana edibles,” police warned, “please make sure the edibles are kept secure and out of reach of children and unwilling participants.”
Cops said the guests who left the weed-laced chocolate behind won’t face charges. Marijuana will become legal in Vermont on July 1, and possession of small amounts of the drug is already decriminalized.
In a statement Wednesday night, a Shelburne Farms spokeswoman said employees are not to eat food left behind by guests, “which is the norm in the hospitality industry.”
“Following this incident, we will be reviewing our staff training programs to ensure that all employees understand this expectation,” director of communications Holly Brough said. “Our priority is protecting employee and guest privacy and we thank everyone for their concern.”