A fight Tuesday night that began in Burlington’s City Hall Park ended with one man slashed, a second stabbed in the neck and a third man behind bars, according to police.
Conner Lucas, a 28-year-old homeless man with an extensive criminal record, pleaded not guilty Wednesday morning to a charge of aggravated assault with a weapon. He was ordered held without bail.
Police said the incident began with a dispute in the park. Lucas allegedly pulled an “edged weapon” and slashed the hand of a man who tried to break up the fight. The trio continued walking up Main Street until the scuffle escalated and Lucas used the weapon to cut a second man’s throat near the Church Street intersection, according to police.
Authorities responding to the scene just before 8:30 p.m. found the victim “bleeding profusely from a stab wound in the neck.” The unidentified victim was taken to the University of Vermont Medical Center for emergency surgery on a severed vein, police said. The man was reported to be in stable condition.
Police later arrested Lucas in Battery Park.
All three men knew each other and “frequent the park and the area of Church and Main” streets, police said.
At the time of the stabbing, Lucas was awaiting sentencing for domestic assault and violations of conditions of release, police said. He’d been arrested previously for aggravated assault, domestic assault, theft of services, unlawful restraint, disorderly conduct and disclosure of sexually explicit images without consent.