Eva Noblezada and the Broadway cast of 'Hadestown'
's Broadway musical, Hadestown
, has won eight Tony Awards, including Best Musical. The Vermont-grown "folk-rock opera," which opened April 18 at the Walter Kerr Theatre in New York City, received 14 Tony Award nominations. The annual award show honoring the best of Broadway aired on CBS on Sunday, June 9.
Mitchell personally snagged Best Original Score, while fellow Vermont composer Michael Chorney
shared honors with New York musician Todd Sickafoose
for Best Orchestrations.
Of its 14 nominations, the musical won the following eight awards:
- Best Musical, Mara Isaacs
- Best Original Score (music and/or lyrics) Written for the Theatre, Anaïs Mitchell
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Featured Role in Musical, André De Shields
- Best Direction of a Musical, Rachel Chavkin
- Best Orchestrations, Michael Chorney and Todd Sickafoose
- Best Lighting Design of a Musical, Bradley King
- Best Sound Design of a Musical, Nevin Steinberg and Jessica Paz
- Best Scenic Design of a Musical, Rachel Hauck
's journey to Broadway was a long one. The musical, an adaptation of the ancient Greek myth of Orpheus and Eurydice, originated at Barre's Old Labor Hall in 2006. A re-tooled version traveled around the region the following year. In 2016, the show appeared off-Broadway at the New York Theatre Workshop before heading to Canada and London.
Recently, tracks from the Hadestown Original Broadway Cast Recording
have begun to surface. More of the show's 34 songs will be released over the next few months
. Listen to a selection below.