- Hannah Palmer Egan
- This cocktail is a friendly, wintry mix.
With the holidays practically upon us, now is the time for parties and hosting, feasting and cocktailing. But it's easy to let the booze get the best of you, and no host wants to over-serve her guests.
So, in the spirit optimal holiday enjoyment, here is a feather-light, bubbly cocktail that feels exceptionally festive without being super boozy. It's also fairly inexpensive and very, very easy to make. My version incorporates liquids from Urban Moonshine
, Eden Ice Cider
and Citizen Cider
, but can be made with any light sparkling cider (don't go super dry or funky here) and whatever bitters you've got in your cupboard. But if you don't have it already, you'll want to use the Orleans Herbal aperitif: it's wonderful and really makes the drink shine.
Merry Cider Cocktail
- 1 sprig or 5 leaves fresh sage
- 10-15 pomegranate seeds
- 1 ounce (or shot) Orleans Herbal aperitif (from Eden Ice Cider Co.)
- 1 ounce (or shot) black cherry or pomegranate juice
- Off-dry sparkling hard cider (Citizen Cider bRosé is a great choice)
- Bitters (Urban Moonshine Organic Citrus Digestive bitters, ideally)
- Ground cinnamon and cinnamon stick
- In a short (8-12 ounce) cocktail glass, gently muddle the sage, pomegranate seeds and Orleans aperitif.
- Add the cherry or pomegranate juice and ice (a single large cube if you can).
- Top with cider and float a drop of bitters; sprinkle with just a bit of cinnamon.
- Garnish with cinnamon stick, more sage, sip and enjoy!